Lecturer: Prof. Gaetano Assanto
Pre-skills: Electromagnetic fields, Wave Physics, Electronics I
- Summary of light propagation in anisotropic crystals: principal axes, index ellipsoid, ordinary ad extraordinary waves, birefringence
- Electro-optic effect: generalities, amplitude modulation, phase modulation, longitidinal and transverse modulation.
- Acousto-optic effect: generalities, Raman-Nath and Bragg regimes, acousto-optic modulation and deflection.
- Integrated optics: planar waveguides and ray propagation, eigensolutions and eigenvalues, dispersion equations for TE and TM modes, channel waveguides, effective index method,coupling. Coupled mode theory, The directional coupler; The integrated Mach-Zehnder interferometer and modulator; Co- and counter-propagating modes, Bragg distributed reflector; AWG.
- Introduction to quadratic nonlinear optics: phenomenology, coupled-mode equations, second harmonic generation, phase-matching
- Introduction to optical communications: overview of optical fibers, losses, chromatic and polarization-mode dispersion, pulse propagation, systems and networks for optical fiber communications, time-division and wavelength-division multiplexing, notes on the optical Kerr effect, optical solitons in fibers, Erbium-doped fiber optical amplifiers.
- Agrawal G., Nonlinear Fiber Optics, Academic Press, London, 1989
- Nishihara H., HaRUNA M., Suhara T., Optical Integrated Circuits, McGrawHill, New York, 1989
- Saleh, Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics, Wiley, New York, 1991
- Yariv A., Optical Electronics in Modern Communications, Oxford Univ. Press, London 1996
- VESPASIANO G., Le fibre Ottiche per Telecomunicazioni, SSGRR, L'Aquila, 1997